Saturday, June 10, 2006

A3 Offsuit?

As I mentioned in my about me section, I have recently discovered Texas Hold'em.  As of yet, I have not been in big money games, only very small money games.  That doesn't mean that I dislike losing any less, however.

Last night I was in a 45-person $1 sit and go with a $17 top prize.  See what I mean, small money.  Everything was going smoothly, I was #3 in chip count, when I got dealt Pocket Aces.  With 32 people remaining, I played aggressively, but not too much to tip my hand and scare the table away.  I ended up scaring off everyone but one player who called.

We went to the flop, which was 3d, 8d, Ac.  I hit the set.  Not wanting to let the other player call lightly into a possible flush, if he was suited, I made a large opening bet.  Not only did he call, but he raised me, pushing me to the point where I would be all in.  I called and saw that he had Ad, 3h.  A-3 offsuit, as I thought to myself, doesn't stand a chance against my trip A's, so I immediately smiled.  Then I saw the turn bring 5d. 

With no more betting to be done, all I could do was hope the river wouldn't turn out another diamond.  Sure enough, out flopped the Jd.  My opponent flopped a nut flush off the board, and beat me with A3 offsuit.  Somedays, as I heard once in last year's WSOP, there is no justice in poker.

No comments: